Автор: Thorne T.
Review: This book is absolutely the best about "slang" that I have ever seen. Every "slang" word that I can think of is in here. If you need books for an interesting read or to help with teaching English then this is one of those you must have."
A definitive and indispensable guide, containing more than 6,000 expressions and over 15,000 definitions from across the English-speaking world."
"In this new edition of the highly acclaimed and bestselling Dictionary of Contemporary Slang, Tony Thorne explores the teeming and ever-changing underworld of English, bringing back intriguing examples of eccentricity, irreverence and anonymous wit from the linguistic front-line. The author has carried out original research among slang users and slang connoisseurs and has trawled all manner of written sources - the result is a definitive and indispensable guide, containing more than 6,000 expressions and over 15,000 definitions from across the English-speaking world. As well as examples from Britain, there are thousands of American, Australian, South African and Jamaican slang terms. So, if you have ever wondered who or what an oof is, where you would expect to find a gurgler, what you would do if someone caned your biffs, and just why you would need a bozo-filter, then this book is your guide.
"The Dictionary of Contemporary Slang describes racy and unorthodox words and phrases in use from the 1950s to the new millennium. Fully revised and expanded, with lively examples of usage throughout, this up-to-the-minute reference work paints a vivid picture of our cultural and social preoccupations.
"(And if you wondered what those extraordinary terms mean, an oof is an attractive woman, a gurgler is a toilet in Australia, cane is British youth-slang for devour or cadge and biffs are cigarettes, while a bozo-filter is computer slang for a device that screens out unwanted electronic messages.)"
Slang derives much of its power from the fact that it is clandestine, forbidden or generally disapproved of. So what happens once it is accepted, even in some cases embraced and promoted by 'mainstream' society? Not long ago the Oxford English Dictionary characterised slang as 'low and disreputable'; in the late 1970s the pioneering sociolinguist Michael Halliday used the phrase 'anti-language' in his study of the speech of criminals and marginals. For him, theirs was an interestingly 'pathological' form of language. The first description now sounds quaintly outmoded, while the second could be applied to street gangs - today's posses, massives or sets - and their secret codes. Both, however, involve value judgements which are essentially social and not linguistic. Attitudes to the use of language have changed profoundly over the last three decades, and the perceived boundaries between 'standard' and 'unorthodox' are becoming increasingly 'fuzzy'.
Бесплатно скачать электронную книгу в удобном формате, смотреть и читать:
Скачать книгу Dictionary of Contemporary Slang - Thorne T. - fileskachat.com, быстрое и бесплатное скачивание.
Ниже можно купить эту книгу по лучшей цене со скидкой с доставкой по всей России.Купить эту книгу
Скачать книгу Dictionary of Contemporary Slang - Thorne T. - depositfiles
Скачать книгу Dictionary of Contemporary Slang - Thorne T. - letitbit
Теги: скачать учебник по английскому языку бесплатно :: английский язык :: Thorne :: contemporary slang
Смотрите также учебники, книги и учебные материалы:
Следующие учебники и книги:
- McGraw-Hill s. Super-Mini Phrasal Verb Dictionary. Richard Spears. 2007 — Phrasal verbs, also called two-word verbs, are idiomatic expressions wherein the second element of the verb (the adverb or particle) … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- McGraw-Hills. Super-Mini American Idioms Dictionary. Richard Spears. 2007 — McGraw-Hill s. Super-Mini American Idioms Dictionary. Richard Spears. 2007 Every language has phrases that cannot be understood literally. Even if … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Icelandic English dictionary - Cleasby R., Vigfusson G. — Icelandic English dictionary. Cleasby R., Vigfusson G. THIS work is a Dictionary of the Old Icelandic Language, or (as it … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Dictionary of Race, Ethnicity and Culture - Bolaffi G., Bracalenti R., Braham P., Gindro S. — Dictionary of Race, Ethnicity and Culture. Bolaffi G., Bracalenti R., Braham P., Gindro S. 2003. Race and ethnicity have long … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Easier English Basic Dictionary — 2004. The Easier English Basic Dictionary is designed especially for elementary and pre-intermediate students of English. With over 11,000 terms, … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Easier English Intermediate Dictionary — 2004. With over 28,000 entries, the Easier English Intermediate Dictionary is designed especially for intermediate or lower-intermediate students of English … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Easier English Student Dictionary — 2003. The fully revised and updated edition of this bestselling general English dictionary is especially useful for those working towards … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Express Picture Dictionary - Gray E. — Express Picture Dictionary. Gray E. 2001. Этот красочно оформленный словарь включает более 1,500 слов необходимых для самых маленьких учеников. Словарь … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies